Enrique Aguilar is charged with murder, while Romeo Aguilar faces a prohibited weapon count.
HOUSTON, Texas — Two brothers arrested after the Valentine’s Day shooting death of 17-year-old Mariah Alatorre face different charges as prosecutors focus the murder case on what happened after she left a crowded Houston party.
Enrique Aguilar, 19, is accused of murder in Alatorre’s death. Romeo Aguilar, 18, is accused of possession of a prohibited weapon. The distinction is central to the case because authorities have publicly tied both brothers to the investigation while alleging different crimes. The murder case now centers on video evidence, a gun and a stop near an urgent care clinic. The weapons case has fewer public details, including the exact weapon involved and how prosecutors say it connects to the events surrounding Alatorre’s death.
Sheriff Ed Gonzalez said the brothers were arrested by the Harris County Sheriff’s Office District 1 Crime Reduction Unit and the Violent Criminals Apprehension Team. Both were booked into the Harris County Jail. Enrique Aguilar’s bond was later listed at $500,000, and Romeo Aguilar’s at $30,000. Enrique Aguilar was scheduled for a June 11 court appearance, while Romeo Aguilar was due in court earlier on the weapon charge. The arrests came more than two months after Alatorre died, a delay that reflected the work needed to sort through conflicting early information, a large party scene and later evidence about the teen’s final movements.
The first police report placed the case at 4637 Dagg Road, where officers responded to a disturbance around 12:30 a.m. Feb. 14. Police said about 300 people were at the residence. As officers arrived, gunshots rang out and people ran from the location. After the party dispersed, police said, a juvenile female was brought by private vehicle to an area hospital and pronounced dead. The friend who brought her said the shooting had happened while they were at the party. That account made the large gathering the early focus of the investigation. It also left detectives with the difficult task of finding witnesses from a crowd that scattered during gunfire.
Prosecutors later described a more specific sequence. They said Alatorre left the party unharmed in a vehicle with friends, including Enrique Aguilar. The group stopped near an urgent care clinic. There, prosecutors said, Aguilar began playing with a gun, and Alatorre was fatally shot. Aguilar allegedly told investigators the shooting was accidental. During a court hearing, the judge questioned that claim, saying, “I don’t see how someone accidentally shoots someone multiple times.” The judge also said video showed Aguilar leaning over Alatorre while “smirking and laughing.” The judge found probable cause, allowing the murder case to continue while leaving guilt or innocence for later proceedings.
Video evidence appears to be one of the most important known pieces of the state’s case. Local reports on court records said the footage allegedly showed Enrique Aguilar and another male waving firearms and pointing them toward Alatorre and others before the shooting. The full recording has not been publicly released. Prosecutors have not publicly said whether the video includes sound, whether it shows the gunfire itself, who recorded it or how investigators obtained it. Defense lawyers may later challenge how the footage is interpreted, whether it fairly shows intent and whether it supports a murder charge rather than a lesser offense. At this stage, the judge said it was enough for probable cause.
The separate charge against Romeo Aguilar leaves open several procedural paths. Prosecutors could keep his case apart from the murder case, use it to address firearm possession only or present related evidence in the broader homicide investigation. Public reports do not say Romeo Aguilar fired a gun at Alatorre. They also do not say whether he was present at the urgent care stop or inside the same vehicle. His charge, possession of a prohibited weapon, requires proof different from the murder allegation against his brother. That difference could matter in bond hearings, plea negotiations, grand jury review and any future trial. For now, both cases are connected by the investigation but not equal in accusation.
Alatorre’s family has focused on another part of the case: why she was driven so far before receiving care. The party was in far south Houston near Pearland, but she was first taken nearly 40 miles north to an urgent care clinic near Cypress, then transferred to HCA Houston Healthcare Northwest. Her mother, Yadyralia Alatorre, said she tried calling her daughter through the night and eventually traced her phone to the urgent care site. “What happened between those hours?” she asked in an earlier interview. The public record does not yet answer who chose the route, how many people were in the vehicle or whether anyone sought emergency help sooner.
The family’s statements also added context to the relationship between Alatorre and Enrique Aguilar. Her mother said Mariah trusted him. “She trusted the wrong people,” she said after the court account became public. That statement could become important for how the case is understood, but prosecutors must prove the charge with evidence, not grief. Alatorre’s obituary described her as a deeply loving teenager who was close to her parents, siblings, grandparents and friends. It said she had a warm spirit, a sense of humor and a habit of helping family. Those memories have followed the court case as relatives wait for more answers about the final hours of her life.
The legal process is still early. A probable cause finding does not end the case, and a bond amount does not decide guilt. Prosecutors may present the case to a grand jury, seek indictments, turn over evidence to defense lawyers and litigate whether statements or video can be used at trial. The defense may argue accident, challenge intent or dispute parts of the state’s timeline. Investigators may still be collecting statements from people at the party, people in the vehicle and medical personnel who treated Alatorre. No public report reviewed for this story listed a trial date, and officials have not announced that the investigation is closed.
As of Monday, Enrique Aguilar remained charged with murder and was expected back in court June 11. Romeo Aguilar remained charged with possession of a prohibited weapon. The next hearings are expected to clarify how prosecutors will move forward and whether more details from the video, firearm evidence and final route will enter the public record.
Author note: Last updated May 18, 2026.