Brown County prosecutors charged David Mairena-Garcia after two people were hurt in an Edgewood Drive home.
GREEN BAY, Wis. — A Green Bay machete attack that left two people hospitalized is now moving through Brown County court while federal immigration officials seek custody of the suspect if he is released from local custody.
David Mairena-Garcia, 29, is charged with six state counts, including two counts of attempted first-degree intentional homicide, in the April 20 attack on his ex-girlfriend and a 23-year-old man. A judge set his bond at $750,000 cash, and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement said it lodged a detainer with the Brown County Jail after his arrest.
The state charges came after police said Mairena-Garcia entered a home in the 900 block of Edgewood Drive early April 20. Officers were called about 5:15 a.m. for an attack involving an edged weapon. Inside and near the home, police found a 26-year-old woman and a 23-year-old man with serious injuries. Both were treated at the scene and taken to a hospital. The criminal complaint says the man had injuries to his shoulder, forearm and shin from a machete. The woman had lacerations to her hand and neck and an injury to her head. The complaint says Mairena-Garcia and the woman knew each other well. They had been in a relationship and have a child together. Police said he used a key to enter her home before the attack began. The woman told investigators that he gave no warning and did not speak. “David did not say anything, he just went in and started cutting them and attacking them with the machete,” she said, according to the complaint. She also told police he had already made several death threats to her by text message and in person.
The attack did not remain inside the home, according to investigators. The male victim told police he fled the bedroom and ran outside, then went down Edgewood Drive. Police said Mairena-Garcia chased him with the machete. Investigators said Mairena-Garcia also beat the woman and chased her outside during the same sequence. The male victim reported that the suspect left in a vehicle he believed was a black SUV. Public reports do not say whether neighbors gave statements or whether any nearby doorbell or security cameras captured the movement outside.
Police said Flock cameras helped them track the suspect’s vehicle after he left the scene. Officers arrested Mairena-Garcia during a traffic stop at about 8:35 a.m. The complaint says he later told police he had seen his “wife” with another male in his bed, lost his mind and blacked out because of rage. He allegedly said he was thinking about “just wanting to kill them.” Investigators said he told police where he had discarded the machete along a highway, and officers recovered it. Authorities have not released a forensic summary for the weapon.
The Brown County case carries severe potential penalties. Local reports said Mairena-Garcia faces counts that include attempted first-degree intentional homicide, armed burglary and aggravated battery. The attempted homicide counts could lead to life in prison if he is convicted. At this stage, the charges are allegations, and prosecutors must prove them in court. The next procedural steps may include a preliminary hearing, arraignment, motions over evidence and later trial scheduling if the case is not resolved earlier.
The federal detainer added another layer to the case. ICE said Mairena-Garcia is a citizen of Nicaragua who entered the United States unlawfully in 2019 in Texas’ Rio Grande Valley. The agency said he had a 2022 final order of removal. ICE Director Todd Lyons said Brown County is not considered a sanctuary jurisdiction and that the agency expected jail officials to work with ICE before any release. Department of Homeland Security officials also criticized news descriptions that called Mairena-Garcia a Green Bay man, saying his immigration status should be included. The detainer does not replace the Brown County prosecution. It asks the jail to notify federal authorities and transfer custody if the suspect is otherwise eligible for release. The state case will determine whether Mairena-Garcia is convicted of the criminal charges filed after the attack. The immigration process will address separate federal custody and removal questions. The timing of any federal custody transfer depends on what happens in the local criminal case, including bond, hearings, plea negotiations or trial outcomes.
The victims’ identities and detailed medical conditions have not been released. Public reports also do not say whether the woman sought any prior court protection, whether the alleged threats were reported before the attack or whether prosecutors have obtained the messages. The complaint’s strongest public details are the woman’s account, the man’s report of being chased, the police use of camera technology, the suspect’s alleged comments and the recovered machete. Those facts are likely to shape the early court record.
The case remains active in Brown County, with Mairena-Garcia in custody and the federal detainer attached to his jail status. The next milestone is the continued court process, where prosecutors will present evidence behind the attempted homicide charges.
Author note: Last updated May 17, 2026.