Police said the driver left the Fulton scene and was later found at Domino’s.
FULTON, Mo. — A customer was injured outside a Fulton home after police said a Domino’s delivery driver struck him with a vehicle during an argument about a tip.
The injured customer, whose name was not released, became the center of a felony case against Zachary Nicholus Walton, 36. Police said the customer had visible hand injuries after the April 29 incident and reported other pain after he was hit in a driveway. Investigators said Walton later admitted he drove toward the customer to scare him.
The delivery took place at a home in the 500 block of Bluff Street, where officers were called at about 7:21 p.m. for an accident with injuries. The first report to police said the driver who struck the victim had fled. When officers arrived, they were told the driver had been delivering Domino’s and had become upset after not receiving a tip. The dispute was brief but intense, according to the police account. It moved from a complaint over money to a verbal confrontation, then to the driveway where the customer was hit.
Police said the customer was walking along the driveway when Walton’s vehicle came forward. Reports said the vehicle had backed away from the residence and was nearly in the road before Walton shifted into drive and accelerated. The customer was struck and went onto the hood. He told officers he jumped up to avoid more harm. Police said he was not stopping Walton from leaving at the time. That finding was important because investigators treated the strike as an intentional act tied to the argument, not as a driver trying to escape an obstruction.
The injuries described in the reports included a visible hand injury, suspected shin scrapes and lasting pain. No full medical update was released. Police did not identify the customer, and the public reports did not describe his age or relationship to the home. A witness gave officers the first account of the dispute and said Walton had become upset. Reports said surveillance video later supported parts of the witness account, including the confrontation and the driver leaving the scene after the impact.
After the strike, police said Walton drove away at high speed. Officers later made contact with him at a Domino’s location. During that contact, according to the probable cause statement, Walton admitted driving toward the customer and leaving afterward. He said he meant to scare the customer, police reported. That alleged statement became a major part of the probable cause filing because it tied Walton’s driving to the earlier argument and to the customer’s injuries. Walton was taken into custody and booked into the Callaway County Jail that night.
Walton faces charges reported as first-degree assault or attempted first-degree assault, armed criminal action and leaving the scene of an accident involving physical injury. Booking information listed multiple felony counts, while some news accounts summarized the case as one count of each core charge. Prosecutors filed the case May 1. Walton appeared by video for an initial hearing that day, and reports said he did not have counsel at that first appearance. A later hearing was scheduled for May 6 in Callaway County.
The probable cause filing said Walton posed a danger to the victim and community because police believed he intentionally used a motor vehicle during a verbal dispute and then failed to contact law enforcement. The filing also cited prior convictions for domestic assault and false imprisonment, saying he had served time. Those details may be weighed by the court in decisions about bond or release conditions. Walton remains presumed innocent of the new charges unless proven guilty.
The case is one of several recent reports in which food delivery encounters have become the setting for criminal allegations, though the Fulton case stands out because police said the vehicle itself was used to cause injury. The reports did not say whether Domino’s had publicly commented or whether Walton’s work status changed after the arrest. They also did not say whether the customer had returned to court or provided a formal victim impact statement. For now, the public record is built from the probable cause statement, jail records, witness statements and described video.
The next stage will determine how prosecutors present the evidence and how Walton responds to the charges. The customer’s injuries, the surveillance video and Walton’s alleged admission are expected to remain central as the case proceeds. As of the latest reports, Walton was held without bond in Callaway County after the April 29 delivery call.
Author note: Last updated May 23, 2026.